Ever felt trapped with a domain name on Wix that just doesn't resonate with your evolving brand? I'll begin this article by addressing a common query: Can you change the domain name on Wix for free? We'll delve into the nuances of changing both the site name and account names, pivotal elements in the domain modification process.
Subsequently, I'll guide you through a concise 6-step process to change your account name on Wix. But our journey doesn't stop there; we'll further explore an 8-step method to modify your site name on Wix.
At the end, we'll demystify the mechanics of how domain names operate on Wix. Let's embark on this enlightening journey together.
Can You Change Your Domain Name and Account Name for Free
You can change your domain and account name on Wix for free, subject to the terms and conditions below.
Changing Domain Name on Wix / Site Name:
- If you have a custom domain purchased through Wix, you can't change its name. Once a domain name is registered, it's yours for the duration of its registration period (typically a year or more, depending on the registration term you choose). If you want a different domain name, you would have to purchase a new one.
- If you're using Wix's free subdomain (e.g., username.wixsite.com/sitename), you can change the site name part by renaming your site in the Wix dashboard. This doesn't technically change the domain but does allow you some flexibility in the URL structure.
Are you looking for a step-by-step guide on how to connect your Google domain to Wix? One Smart Sheep has you covered. Our detailed blog post, titled "How to Connect Google Domain to Wix | Visual Step-by-Step Guide," includes screenshots to help you understand the process.
Changing Account Name on Wix:
- The primary email address associated with your Wix account serves as your "account name." To change this primary email address (and effectively your account name), you need to go to your account settings on Wix and make the change there. There shouldn't be a fee for this, but keep in mind that this will be the new email address you use to log in to your Wix account.
Steps: How to Change Account Name On Wix
Let us now discuss the steps involved in changing your Wix account name. I will walk you through six visual steps below to help you better understand the process. Let's get started.
Step 1. Sign In to Wix Account
The first step in changing the account name on Wix we have to Sign In to our Wix Account. Visit the site Wix.com, then click on the login at the left side of the Wix site.
Start by logging into your account on Wix.com. To do this, you need to input your email and password. Once signed in, you'll gain access to your account dashboard, where you have the ability to design or modify your site.
If you haven't yet acquired a Wix premium plan, it's advisable to purchase one. Following the acquisition of your plan, navigate through your Wix account accordingly.
Step 2. Go to Account Profile
To make adjustments or view your account details on the platform, please proceed to your account profile. This can be conveniently located by navigating to the top right-hand corner of your screen.
Here, you'll see an icon or your profile picture, symbolizing your personal account space. Upon clicking it, you will be able to access a range of options and settings specific to your user profile.
Step 3. Click on Account Settings from the Popup
Upon selecting your profile within the Wix platform, a pop-up window will appear on your display.
Within this interface, you should look for the option labeled "Account Settings." This section houses various settings and preferences associated with your user profile.
Once you've located "Account Settings," simply give it a click to proceed and delve into the specific configurations you wish to review or modify.
Step 4. Select Account Name
To update your site's URL by modifying the account name of your Wix website, first, locate and select the account name.
Next, click on the pencil-shaped icon adjacent to it. By altering the account name, the changes will reflect directly in your site's URL.
Step 5. Change Account Name
Enter your preferred account name in the designated field. Upon updating, you'll observe that this modification is directly mirrored in your website's URL, ensuring a seamless integration of your branding throughout the platform.
Step 6. Click on “Save” Button
When you have changed the account name of the Wix Account, now, you need to click on the "Save" button you will find at the bottom of this page.
Domain names can be purchased directly from Wix. Wix offers domain registration as one of its services. If you're building a website on Wix, it can be convenient to purchase your domain directly from them because it streamlines the process of pointing the domain to your Wix site.
In order to know the pricing of the Wix domain name, you can visit our guide on How Much Is a Wix Domain: Pricing Comparison Monthly & Yearly.
Steps: How to Change Site Name On Wix Site
Are you interested in modifying your site name on Wix? It's worth noting that this option is available only for those utilizing Wix's complimentary domain.
While this doesn't alter your actual domain name, it provides a level of adaptability in your website's URL. Now, let's take a look at the eight-step guide on how to change a site name. Let's dive in.
Step 1. Go to My Sites
In the first step, click on My Sites in the header. This will open a pop-up window. At the bottom of the pop-up, click on Go to My Sites.
Step 2. Select the Site
After clicking on Go to My Sites, you will see a list of your created sites on Wix. To change the name of a site, simply click on the site that you want to change the name of.
Step 3. Go to the Dashboard of the Site
After selecting the specific site you wish to rename, you'll be directed to its dashboard. This dashboard provides an overview and controls related to that particular website.
Step 4. Click on Settings
Proceed to locate the 'Settings' option, which can be found on the lower left-hand side of the dashboard. This section provides a comprehensive array of configuration options for your website.
Step 5. Click on Website Settings
When you click on Settings, you will see a list of all the settings that you can change for your selected site. These settings include e-commerce settings, pricing settings, website settings, and many others.
To change the domain name of your site, you need to navigate to the Website settings section. Simply click on Website settings to go forward.
Step 6. Click on Site URL
Your Site URL is crucial. It's not only the online address that directs users to your website, but it also plays a pivotal role in branding, search engine optimization, and user perception.
A clear, memorable URL fosters trust and credibility, improving user experience and boosting online visibility.
Under the Site Address (URL) section, you can edit your site name. In this example, the site name is bachelor-s.
Step 7. Change the Site Name
To change the site name, simply click on the Site Address (URL) field and type in the new site name.
In this simple step, you can simply replace the existing site name with your desired new name. The new name will be displayed in your site's URL. You can also choose to brand your site with your new name.
Here I will go with my brand name “One smart Sheep”. You can write a new name as you need.
Step 8. Click on “Save” Button
After you have done with the name change steps and you are satisfied with the change name. You can click on the “Save” button that you can find at the top right corner of the screen and also the bottom right corner of the screen.
How Do Domain Names Work on Wix ?
- Free Domain: When you create a website with Wix, you are automatically given a free domain that includes ".wixsite.com". It usually follows the format: "username.wixsite.com/sitename." This type of domain is ideal for personal projects or temporary sites but may not appear professional for a business.
- Custom Domain: If you wish to have a more professional look, you can purchase a custom domain either through Wix or another domain registrar. This removes the ".wixsite.com" portion and allows you to have a domain like "www.yourwebsite.com."
- Connecting the Domain: If you've purchased a domain outside of Wix, you can connect it to your Wix site. Wix provides a step-by-step guide to assist users in mapping their external domains to their Wix websites.
- Domain Renewal: Domains are typically leased on a yearly basis. This means that you need to renew your domain each year to keep ownership of it. Wix will send reminders when your domain is nearing its expiration date.
- Subdomains: Within Wix, you can also set up subdomains. A subdomain acts as an extension of your primary domain, serving as a separate website or a distinct section of your site. For example, if you have a blog related to your main website, it might be at "blog.yourwebsite.com."
- SSL Certificate: Wix provides an SSL certificate for every domain, ensuring that data transferred between your site and your visitors is encrypted and secure. This is represented by the "https" and a padlock icon in the browser's address bar.
- SEO and Domain: Your domain name plays a role in search engine optimization (SEO). A clear, concise, and relevant domain name can help with brand recognition and help visitors (and search engines) understand your website's purpose.
Free Domain Name on Wix Includes
- Your username or site name: This is a name you choose when you create your site.
- ".wixsite.com": This is a fixed part of all free Wix domains.
- Page path (optional): If you have multiple pages, this part indicates the specific page.
When Do You Need to Change Domain Name on Wix
There can be several reasons why one might consider changing their domain name on Wix. Here are some of the most common scenarios:
- Rebranding: If you're undergoing a company rebrand or if you've changed your business name, it would make sense to change the domain to match the new brand identity.
- Better SEO: Perhaps you started with a domain name that doesn't accurately reflect the main keywords or terms associated with your business. Changing to a more SEO-friendly domain can potentially improve search visibility.
- Simplification: If your initial domain was long or complex, you might want to opt for something shorter and easier to remember.
- Professionalism: If you initially started with the free Wix domain (e.g., username.wixsite.com/sitename) and now want to make your site appear more professional, you would upgrade to a custom domain.
- Expansion or Specialization: If your business is diversifying or focusing on a particular niche, you might want a new domain that better reflects this change. For instance, if a general clothing store decides to focus only on shoes, they might shift from "bestclothes.com" to "bestshoestore.com."
- Avoiding Bad Reputation: If, for some reason, the current domain has been blacklisted or associated with spammy behavior, it might be beneficial to start afresh with a new domain.
- Domain Extension Strategy: Initially, you might have opted for a ".net" or ".org" domain, but now you might want to shift to a ".com" or a more specific local or industry-specific extension, like ".shop" or ".nyc."
- Legal or Trademark Issues: Sometimes, businesses have to change their domain names due to trademark disputes or other legal challenges.
Wix offers users the flexibility to modify both account names and site names, each influencing the structure of the website's URL.
While custom domains purchased through Wix are fixed post-purchase, users utilizing the free ".wixsite.com" domain can tweak the site name for a degree of URL customization.
The primary email of the Wix account dictates the account name, but changes can be made without incurring costs. The process for these modifications is straightforward, with detailed steps available for clarity.
Furthermore, the role and structure of domain names in Wix are paramount for branding, SEO, and overall online presence. Whether due to rebranding, SEO strategies, or business evolution, there can be several valid reasons to consider domain name changes.
Thus, understanding how Wix domains function and the possibilities within the platform is invaluable for website owners seeking growth and adaptability.